publications & projects
- "A Classic Debate." Literacy Today. May/June 2017
- "The Textual Lineage of a Teacher." Teaching Tolerance blog. January 30, 2014.
- "Building Diversity into the Common Core." Teaching Tolerance blog. January 9, 2012.
- Reading Diversity: A Tool for Selecting Diverse Texts
- Choosing the World Our Students Read
- Perspectives for a Diverse America: a K-12 Literacy-based Anti-bias Curriculum
- I Got the Power! Using Critical Literacy to Activate Civic Engagement
(click for descriptions)
pedagogy & philosophy
- Students need texts that hold a mirror to their own lived experiences as well as ones that open windows to the experiences of others. An education without both is incomplete.
- Reading and listening give students the skills to consume and understand language and ideas. Writing and speaking empower students to create language and express original ideas.
- Rigorous literacy instruction engages readers in challenging the text by integrating text-dependent questioning and student voice.
- Content areas such as social studies and science provide meaningful context for for critical literacy instruction.
areas of interest
diverse text selection; CCSS ELA/Literacy; text-dependent questioning and strategies; literacy across the curriculum; multicultural literature; critical literacy; vocabulary instruction; creating writing tasks