publications & projects
- Perspectives for a Diverse America: a K-12 Literacy-based Anti-bias Curriculum (Chief Curriculum Designer)
- Teaching 'The New Jim Crow' (Project Co-lead)
- Breaking Down Invisible Walls, National Geographic (lead writer)
- The Story of the Jews, PBS (contributing writer)
- Culturally Responsive Curriculum Design Principles
- Keep Talking! Creating Low-stakes Opportunities for High-stakes Conversations
- Teaching about Race, Racism and Police Violence
(click for descriptions)
pedagogy & philosophy
- Culturally responsive pedagogy can raise student engagement and achievement.
- A well-planned, student-centered lesson is the best classroom management.
- Effective instruction is planned through a process of backward design.
- Meaningful instruction models how to think, rather than tells students what to think.
- "Half the curriculum walks in the door when the students do." (Emily Style)
areas of interest
culturally responsive curriculum; diverse text selection; Understanding by Design®; thematic and interdisciplinary units; teaching current events; differentiation; student voice; project-based learning; multiple intelligences; checking for student understanding; higher-level questioning; critical thinking; objective-driven instruction; student engagement; routines and procedures