publications & projects
- "Building Diversity into the Common Core." Teaching Tolerance blog. January 9, 2012.
pedagogy & philosophy
- Backwards planning and objective-driven instruction empowers students with a rationale and road map for their own learning.
- The rigor of standards-based instruction and the relevance of culturally responsive pedagogy are not mutually exclusive educational aims, but rather are mutually dependent requisites for closing the achievement gap.
- When well designed and fairly implemented, standards are a critical tool in leveling the educational playing field and closing the opportunity gap.
- An excessive emphasis on testing alienates both students and teachers and undermines the core goals of a democratic public education system.
areas of interest
developing culturally responsive applications of the CCSS ELA/Literacy; writing strong objectives; planning objective-driven instruction; using Bloom's Taxonomy; developing standards-based assessments, tasks and rubrics; Understanding by Design®; using standards to differentiate instruction.